So you’re twenty-something … now what? Deciding what do with your life is completely overwhelming. You’re fresh out of college, landing your first job, and buying your first house. In the midst of doing all of this, we self-proclaim our “adulting” status while paying bills, early morning wake-ups, and tight schedules. With all this newness in our lives, it can be easy to lose sight of the fun in life.
We’re told to embrace our freedom, embark on adventure, and see the world. All while we’re also expected to establish a solid career and become a working professional. We strive to form new friendships and new connections while maintaining those old and true. And lastly, we don’t want to let our parents down. We don’t want to let our boss down. And we definitely don’t want to let ourselves down.
So in an effort to make the most of this wild, confusing, but yet the most exciting time of our lives, below are 10 life rules to help you live a happier, healthier life as the amazing twenty-something you are:
- Discover you. Your twenties are your time to be selfish. Take the time to discover you. Go watch a movie ALONE. Go on a mini-vacation ALONE. You’ll uncover more about yourself than you’ll ever know – trust me.
- True friends (and you know who they are) MATTER. A year ago, you and your besties roomed together, went to class together and hung out together ALL THE TIME. Now as you each start off on your own journey, it’s important to take the time to stay in touch. The same goes for your family. Text your mom back, call dad and don’t forget family birthdays. You can get through the bad times and keep looking for better ones, as long as you have people who love you.
- Perfection is overrated. Life is all about balance. Pizza for breakfast? Healthy salad for dinner. Stay out late on the weekends? Hit the sack early on the week nights. You will kill yourself trying to define your life by a “can-do” and “cannot-do” list.
- Take the time to REALLY take care of your body. Don’t just avoid your daily fast food run and call it good. Really take the time to care for your body. Eat healthy, exercise often, drink lots of water and get a good night’s rest … it all makes a difference.
- Start saving money NOW. Stop wasting money. Impulsivity is fun, but it comes with a cost. Do you really need those new shoes? Money looks better in the bank than it does in your closet.
- Conquer your fears. Get over your fears of rejection or failure. Take the chance. Explore new opportunities. Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.
- Listen and respect the opinions of others. Stop playing the hate card. Listen and learn as much as you can from others and more importantly learn how to forgive and forget.
- Do good – help others. Find a cause you are passionate about, and immerse yourself in as much volunteer and community service as you can.
- Take a ton of pictures. Repeat after me: YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL. Stop avoiding photo ops just because you feel you’re “too big” or your outfit is not “just right.” Make memories and capture them, your future self will thank you.
- Don’t take yourself or your life too seriously. We are all given ONE LIFE, that’s it! Embrace your challenges, heart-breaks, triumphs, and successes. Live your life fearlessly with #NoRegrets.